Miscarriage can be a difficult and emotional experience for many women and their families. While not all miscarriages can be prevented, there are certain steps women can take to potentially reduce the risk. It’s important to note that even with these measures, some miscarriages are out of your control. Nonetheless, adopting a healthy lifestyle and following medical advice can help support a healthy pregnancy. Here are some tips that may help prevent miscarriage:

1. Maintain a Healthy Diet

Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats can provide the nutrients your body needs to support a healthy pregnancy. Avoid foods high in mercury, such as certain types of fish, and be cautious of raw or undercooked meats, eggs, and seafood.

According to the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (Fertility and Sterility Vol. 120, No. Nov.2023) “A recent systematic review and meta-analysis found a 60% relative reduction in the odds of miscarriage with a high intake of fruits and a 40% relative reduction in the odds of miscarriage with a high intake of vegetables or fruit and vegetables combined. Women should be advised that a balanced and varied diet will provide most essential vitamins and minerals, with the exception of folate and vitamin D.”

 2. Stay Hydrated

Drinking plenty of water is important for overall health, including during pregnancy. Staying hydrated helps support the increased blood volume and aids in maintaining healthy amniotic fluid levels.

 3. Manage Stress

High stress levels are associated with miscarriage risk, although there is no clear evidence of a chain of causation-high levels of stress can have a negative impact on your body and overall health. Practice stress-reducing techniques such as meditation, yoga, deep breathing exercises, or spending time in nature. If stress becomes overwhelming, consider speaking to a therapist or counselor.

 4. Avoid Harmful Substances

Refrain from smoking, drinking alcohol, and using recreational drugs during pregnancy, as these can significantly increase the risk of miscarriage and other complications. Additionally, be cautious with over-the-counter and prescription medications—consult your healthcare provider  before taking any new medication.

5. Maintain a Healthy Weight

Being overweight or underweight can increase the risk of complications during pregnancy, including miscarriage. Aim to maintain a healthy weight by following a balanced diet and engaging in moderate exercise.

6. Get Regular Prenatal Care

Regular check-ups with your healthcare provider are essential during pregnancy. Prenatal care helps monitor your baby’s development and can detect any potential issues early on. Follow your doctor’s advice regarding any screenings, tests, or treatments that may be recommended.

 7. Exercise Safely

Engaging in moderate exercise during pregnancy can improve your overall health and well-being. However, consult your healthcare provider to determine what types of exercise are safe for you and your baby. Avoid high-impact or strenuous activities that could cause harm.

 8. Monitor and Manage Chronic Conditions

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes, thyroid disorders, or autoimmune diseases, work closely with your healthcare provider to manage them effectively. Proper management can reduce the risk of complications during pregnancy.

 9. Avoid Infections

Take precautions to avoid infections, such as washing your hands frequently, avoiding contact with sick people, and practicing safe food handling and preparation. Some infections can lead to miscarriage, so it’s important to take preventive measures.

10. Listen to Your Body

If you experience any unusual symptoms such as bleeding, cramping, or severe pain, contact your healthcare provider immediately. Early intervention can help address potential issues before they become more serious.

While these measures can help support a healthy pregnancy, it’s important to remember that not all miscarriages can be prevented. If you’ve experienced a miscarriage, it’s not your fault. Be kind to yourself and seek support from loved ones, as well as professional help if needed. Always consult with your healthcare provider for personalized advice and guidance during your pregnancy.